Remote work isn’t going away. So it’s a good idea to consider ways to make remote workers feel appreciated. One great way to do this is to surprise and delight with engaging personal gifts.
Choosing corporate gifts for employees was once a quick process that often overlooked how they made recipients feel. It wasn’t long until the type of gift and its context began to matter more when people eagerly shared the gift boxes they received on LinkedIn.
But if you want to captivate and show appreciation for the person (not the persona) this is the business gift guide you’re looking for.
We’ll look at the top gifts for remote workers, including what to get, types of gifts to avoid, and tried-and-true ideas for selecting the best gifts.
? Remote work is here to stay
Analysts long predicted that workers would continue to work from home-offices beyond the pandemic itself.
With remote work presenting greater flexibility and saving companies millions of dollars each year, it has shifted to becoming a more permanent option for organizations around the globe.
According to Gartner, almost half of employees work from home in the post-pandemic world.
However, remote work has its limitations. Some team members are unable to connect at a personal, human level. It is crucial for staff feels valued beyond just the scope of their everyday duties.
Remote work struggles are real
Buffer’s State of Remote Work uncovered a reality that many people might not be aware of. Working from home often brings with it challenges in focus, loneliness, staying motivated, and working continuously.
Employees can lose morale when they feel undervalued or unappreciated. This often comes through virtual employee engagement surveys.
But most people continue onward even when employers don’t acknowledge their efforts. In a tight job market, employees can’t afford to lose top talent. A renewed focus on employee wellness, connectedness, and building a strong culture has taken center stage.
The study goes on to point out that four out of 10 workers find themselves working more due to the distance from the office. So there are certainly some areas companies think about to improve the overall experience for their remote workforce.
Remote work affects more than employees
The gift ideas and strategies mentioned here apply just as much to prospects and customers as they do to your team.
For a majority of B2B brands, prospects don’t typically work out of an office. And when they do, many enjoy the flexibility of working from home.
As outbound motions prove more difficult in congested marketing channels, there’s an increasing need to stand out by being more personal, relevant, and thoughtful.
Everyone welcomes a little more love from employees, brands they do business with, and vendors they work with.
✅ Why Share Gifts With Remote Employees
Gifts for remote employees are a powerful tool to show appreciation to their team. Here are 12 common scenarios to send gifts to your employees for inspiration.
- Welcome to the team (onboarding) – A customizable welcome gift box will make new employees feel valued and can also be an icebreaker with co-workers. Personalized gifts are preferable, and a personal message and a thoughtfully chosen welcome present will enhance the employee’s first-day experience.
- Team building and bonding – Enhance social relations and define roles by getting remote teams together, for example, in a zoom meeting; over a gift basket or snack box. This team-building connection improves productivity and allows teams to communicate, plan and problem-solve through fun team bonding activities.
- Hard work and performance – Gift-giving is an excellent technique to ensure that someone feels appreciated. Gifts such as mini gadgets, desk ornaments, or virtual gifts, such as an Amazon gift card or Netflix subscriptions make a perfect gift.
- Follow-up from team huddles -With a good headset, endless video meetings and phone conferences can be more bearable. Portable Chargers are also a great team gift for workers who like to use their phones and laptops while on the go.
- Workspace upgrades. With virtual teams, keeping the workspace professional can present a challenge. Calendar planners, desk organizers, office supplies, and professional backdrops are just a few gifts to help employees feel more proficient on a typical workday at home.
- Staff well-being -There’s nothing quite like an employer that cares about their staff’s well-being. Mini self-care packages, fitness trackers, massage vouchers, or simply a mental health day are thoughtful gifts to make employees feel valued and cared for.
- Housewarming gifts – A houseplant or succulent can alter a workspace instantly. A study by the University of Exeter found that having at least one nearby plant can enhance productivity by 15%.
- Holiday gifts – When national holidays occur, sending B2B holiday gifts to employees can significantly impact their performance. High-quality Bluetooth speakers for all family members are a perfect example of a relevant Christmas gift. Check out this guide to holiday marketing campaigns for more festive ideas.
- Charitable gifts – Both employers and employees generally feel good if a donation is made in their names. It’s essential to choose a nonprofit that serves the community or speaks to the company. Amplify team impact by matching donations to a non-profit.
- Anniversary gifts – Given that our emotions and performance are intimately linked, neglecting an employee’s work anniversary can affect motivation and productivity. Keeping employees happy has all-around benefits.
- Themed holiday party – For those not local to a company office, send them a themed gift box to celebrate with the team. Give them the power of choice by offering a few variations that include alcohol, wine, and non-spirited drinks to participate. Include a pair of Apple Airpods to liberate your team from bulky headsets.
- Performance rewards – Rewarding teams and individuals for exceeding their goals boosts staff morale. Gift cards for Amazon, eBay, or Sling can promote motivation in employees.
- Career milestones – Celebrating an employee’s promotion is essential as it makes them feel recognized for their professional milestones. Companies can also use branded swag to reinforce company loyalty, and happy employees are likely to sport the corporate swag with pride. Alyce makes it easy to set up a swag store in minutes with branded merchandise exclusively for employees.
? Success Story: WebPT Facilitates Digital Employee Engagement With Alyce
These are all excellent reasons to send a gift to an employee, partner, or future customer. But there are several issues to be aware of when sending products unexpectedly to their doorsteps.
Unexpected Risks of Unexpected Gifts ⚠️
Sending gifts to remote teams exposes you to some risk. Even if you have great intentions, it could send the wrong message. Or result in returns, unfavorable comments, and waste.
1) One-size-fits-all gifts impress no one.
This is where most employee swag programs go awry. For instance, when branded swag might not be all that mutually rewarding. This is more of an issue when gifts aren’t all that impressive and someone’s trying to hit a target unit cost. For our Christmas Vacation fans, this is like adding everyone to the Jelly of the Month Club.
2) Sticking your company logo on a water bottle or coffee mug declares recipients less important.
While a popular way of getting your brand out there, it does little to show gratitude. However, when it comes to wearing a branded T-shirt, many employees opt not to advertise where they work. Everyone has a closet full of shirts with logos that never sees the sun.
3) Sending remote workers branded apparel can be tricky when it comes to sizing.
Clothing sizes vary between manufacturers and sending them the wrong size can offend. Furthermore, asking staff to add their size to a shared spreadsheet or Google Form could feel invasive. Instead, opt for using a gifting platform that works with limited-run high-quality clothing that you (and your team) can be proud to wear.
4) Sending baked goods could be harmful.
Employees might not advertise if they or their family members have specific health risks. Approximately 10% of adults have a food allergy, so sending over food gifts could be unwelcome or even result in a trip to the hospital. Aside from peanut allergies, there are dairy, egg, and gluten to be mindful of.
A Better Solution For WFH Gifting
Ask yourself, “Am I making personal connections with our team members? Or am I just sending stuff?”
Appealing to the personal interests of each person by using AI and human-assisted research to discover the most appropriate personal gifts is vital. Someone who loves reading likely has different passions than those who enjoy basketball.
Finding the best employee appreciation gifts has been challenging for many. With every employee having unique needs, personalized gift-giving is essential to delight and impress.
To make that a little easier for you, we’ve curated a list of perfect gift ideas for your team.
Level up your corporate gifting game with Alyce.
Schedule a demo→
Best Gifts for Remote Employees
With the following types of gifts, you won’t run out of ideas to make an impact on your valued employees.
[table id=4 /]
Want to send company swag? Check out our list of top branded swag ideas and examples!
✨ Gifting Strengthens Employee Engagement
Businesses are giving greater thought to corporate gifts these days because they’ve discovered how it advances company growth goals. As we head into 2023, retaining top talent is among the top B2B marketing trends.
Personal, relevant, and thoughtful gift ideas expand a person’s sense of being valued. Employees like it when their efforts and services are recognized, which is an excellent boost to their morale.
Given that gifting is far more than handing out the notepad and branded company stickers, employers must consider designing the appropriate gift packages to elicit the desired response and action from recipients.
This is especially true when giving personalized presents to employees since the personalization component heightens the sense that something has been custom-made just for them.
At Alyce, we believe that the power of choice is a better way to stand out. By leading with a personal message, thoughtful gift, and plenty of options, recipients feel special.
Our top-rated corporate gifting platform includes research, gifts, and integrations to send the right gift to your valued employees without any of the logistical hassles.